The Citizens' Assembly is supported by a group of renowned experts representing different viewpoints and disciplines related to the topic of "Germany's role in the world". It was important to the initiators and implementing institutions of the Citizens' Assembly that this group be composed of very different people. The members are experts in their field or, due to their activities, provide a particularly diverse view of Germany's role in the world.
The members of the panel...
- advise the implementing institutions in order to ensure the quality of the procedure in terms of subject matter and content
- are available to answer specific questions as needed
- suggest further experts if necessary
- act as experts in the Citizens' Council, e.g. give impulse lectures on the topics to be discussed
- communicate the contents and results of the Citizens' Council to the public and politicians.
The support committee met online on 29.10.2020, see agenda and list of members.
The members of the Supporting Panel have welcomed the organisation of a Citizens' Council on Germany's role in the world and have declared their willingness to accompany the Citizens' Council with their professional expertise before and, if necessary, during the Citizens' Council and to support it in the public discussion.
Agenda of the online meeting on 29.10.2020:
- Welcome by Claudine Nierth (board spokesperson Mehr Demokratie)
- Short round of introductions of the members of the Supporting Panel and the Citizens' Council Team.
- "From Citizens' Assembly on Democracy 2019 to Citizens' Assembly Germany's Role in the World 2021" - Claudine Nierth, Mehr Demokratie
- Citizens' Assembly "Germany's Role in the World": topic identification, concept, political connection and scientific support - Dr. Christine von Blanckenburg, nexus, and Jacob Birkenhäger, ifok
- First results of the topic identification - Dr. Christine von Blanckenburg, nexus, and Jacob Birkenhäger, ifok
- Role and tasks of the supporting body - Jacob Birkenhäger, ifok
- Significance of the Citizens' Council Germany's role in the world from a social perspective - Prof. Dr. Michael Göring, Chairman of the Board of the ZEIT Foundation
Members of the Supporting Panel:
- Dr. Thomas Bagger, Head of the Foreign Policy Department at the Office of the Federal President
- Ralf Becker, Protestant Regional Church in Baden
- Thilo Bode, Managing Director Foodwatch International
- Dr. Bernd Bornhorst (Miseror), Chairman of the Board, VENRO
- Frank Burgdörfer, Member of the Board, European Movement Germany
- Prof. Dr. Nicole Deitelhoff - Executive Member of the Board, Leibniz Institute Hessian Foundation for Peace and Conflict Research (HSKF)
- Prof. Dr. Gabriel Felbermayr, Institute for the World Economy
- Prof. Dr. Naika Foroutan, Professor for Integration Research and Social Policy at Humboldt University Berlin, Founding Board Member DeZIM
- Prof. Dr. h. c. Cornelia Füllkrug-Weitzel, President of Bread for the World and Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe
- Prof. Dr. Anna Geis, Helmut Schmidt University/University of the Federal Armed Forces Hamburg, Professor of International Security Policy and Conflict Research
- Katja Gloger, journalist and publicist, spokeswoman of the board of RSF, Reporters without Borders Germany
- Prof. Dr. Michael Göring, Chairman of the Board of the ZEIT Foundation
- Dr. Lotte Leicht, EU Director, Human Rights Watch
- Dr. Stefan Mair, Director of the German Institute for International and Security Affairs and Executive Chairman of the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP)
- Prof. Dr. Barbara von Meibom, Political Scientist and Communication Scientist, Head of the CommUnio Institute for the Art of Leadership
- Dr. Jana Puglierin, Senior Policy Fellow at the European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR)
- Ambassador Boris Ruge, Deputy Chairman of the Munich Security Conference (MSC)
- Dr. Daniela Schwarzer, Director of the German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP)
- Svenja Sinjen, Head of the Global Transformation & German Foreign Policy Project, Foundation for Science and Democracy
- Dr Almut Wieland-Karimi, Executive Director, Center for International Peace Operations (ZIF)